Saturday, February 9, 2013

Parenting from afar - no thanks

Five years ago if you offered me a job working at home with 30% travel, I'd have been all over it. Even though we all know that "30% travel" really means 50% or more. I used to love traveling to different places, seeing new airports (I know, geek), and staying in different hotels (bedbugs need not apply Washington, DC - my January 2010 trip while pregnant). But after having two kids, it's a lot harder to fathom not being home 50% of the month and being constantly on the go (literally).

When I traveled to Florida for a conference last week, I left Daddy with the boys from Thursday to Saturday night. Thursday night Sage slept for a grand total of 1.25 hours according to Daddy. Friday night he wouldn't sleep anywhere but on Uncle Steven's chest. Saturday he did sleep more (and was asleep when I finally got home around 12:15 a.m. Sunday). Daddy and I were talking about what the problem was and he assumed it was because I wasn't there. Sunday afternoon a vicious illness hit Sage and there was a 102 degree fever and then there was a barking cough. He didn't miss me, he was getting ready to have Croupe and an inner ear infection we found out at the pediatrician's on Monday.

When I called Daddy on Thursday, Silas said "hi" and "I mih ewe Mommy." I mihed him too. But Silas has been through this before, I've gone away (and come back) a couple of times in his short life. But it's not something I'd want to do often.

Friday Daddy called me and told me that Sage crawled for the first time. I missed it. I hated that. And I had this feeling before I left that he would (no it's not hindsight bias, I really did expect him to crawl while I was away). When I got home though I realized he's not REALLY crawling - he's using his arms and legs to push himself along on his belly. Now, don't get me wrong, he's fast at it. Super fast. But it's not crawling. I didn't totally miss it.

Even though one of my dream jobs (textbook publishing - again, geek) would involve 30% (or 50%) travel, I wouldn't do it for the world. I need to see crawling and not be mihed by little boys.